Lots of people ask me the process I go through when working my images. Here are the steps I follow when I am downloading images(note, this is how I do it, other people may have better ways, but it works for me!):
1) Download the images from the card to my hard drive on my computer to a folder called ORIGINALS.
2) Copy them onto a backup hard drive into an identical ORIGINALS folder.
3) I then make a copy of the originals and put them into a folder called TO CORRECT
4) Make my corrections to the images, then save them in a folder called CORRECTED. Depending on what the client requires, I will save them as TIFF or JPEGS.
5) Copy the corrected images onto the backup hard drive in a folder called CORRECTED.
6) Once i have over 4 gigabytes of images, I will burn them to DVD, making two copies just in case something happens to a DVD.
This way, i’ve got three or four copies of the images in a variety of places so if my computer crashes, I’ve got a copy somewhere else.